Monday, February 2, 2009

The pretty mediocre old days

Old people talk about the good old days with some kind of bitter hatred towards progress in their voice as if the last 50 years have somehow wronged them by producing telephones and a cure for polio. Thank god we (the more down to earth and self- righteous in our progressive attitudes) can embrace progress because when I think of the "old days" I think of every shitty pre-useful internet era joke that would be circulated by every office worker who had been given the honor of knowing the companies dial-up password and was about to enter a land of websites that were perpetually under construction (you could always tell this by the smiley faces holding stop signs and jack hammers). So until cumguzzlingbuttsluts.com was launched everyone just circulated the video of the Alien singing "I will survive" and other such shit that makes you want to rip out your ethernet cable and shove it up your urethra. Although at the time I guess all that shit was pretty rad, like when people first saw a film and even thought it was just a 5 second clip of train pulling into the station everyone ran out screaming but in the case of the internet it was you and your friends gathered round the Korean kids gateway computer (the one they used to give away on double dare 2000) and you had spent the last half hour waiting for the "papa smurf lick my ass" flash video to load on funnyjunk.com hoping that it would be done in time so his mum wouldn't be back from the grocery store and kick us off for watching that smut.

Remembering the existence of funnyjunk.com I decided to hit it up to see how it was keeping up. Sadly most of the classics have been deleted.

In memory of shitty flash animations:

-Star wars rap
-Papa smurf lick my ass
-Scary basckstreet boys one
-Scary where's wally
-"hooked on a feeling" baby
-the one with the indian guy on the phone
-Arnold Schwarzenegger Pizza shop
-The kid at my primary school who got caught google searching the word "Lesbos" (this isn't related at all but I just thought it was funny)



EDIT: A remnant of the old internet lives on in this Dragon ball Z fan page. When you see it you will "know what a legendary super saiyan is fighting". I used to get the gifs off this site and put them on my desktop so i could move them around and make it look like they were fighting.

1 comment:

questionably josh said...

oh dear god yes.
I nearly shat myself when I found a MR. popo animation of him holding up a sign that said "you've got mail".


I also remember going to Jack's house and looking at pictures of goku accidentally going super saiyan when constipated.

ahh the good old days, when you could laugh at just how big Raditz's hair would be when super saiyan level I bloody dont know.

the good old days.